Health Testing Protocols
The school is not in a position to administer onsite testing for the coronavirus for faculty, staff or scholars.
Any staff member or scholar who exhibits symptoms will be referred to their local provider, and/or will be instructed to contact the Chemung County Health Department to determine the most suitable venue for testing.
If families are in need of financial support to facilitate testing, this will be handled on a case by case basis.
Return to Work/School: The school will utilize the New York State Department of Health “Interim Guidance for Public and Private Employees Returning to Work Following COVID-19 Infection or Exposure”, in coordination with the Chemung County Health Department, to determine a return to work/school.
- If a staff member/scholar tests positive for COVID-19, regardless of if they are symptomatic or asymptomatic, they may return to work/school upon completing at least 10 days of isolation from the onset of symptoms or 10 days of isolation after the first positive test if they remain asymptomatic.
- If a staff member/scholar has had close or proximate contact with a person with COVID-19 for a prolonged period of time AND is experiencing COVID-19 related symptoms, they may return to work/school upon completing at least 10 days of isolation from the onset of symptoms.
o The New York State Department of Health considers a close contact to be someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 10 minutes starting from 48 hours before illness onset until the time the person was isolated. The local health department should be contacted if the extent of contact between an individual and a person suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19 is unclear.
- If a staff member/scholar is symptomatic upon arrival at work/school or becomes sick with COVID-19 symptoms while in the building, absent close or proximate contact with a person with COVID-19, they must be separated and sent home immediately and may return to the building upon completing at least 10 days of isolation from the onset of symptoms OR upon receipt of a negative COVID-19 test result.
- If a staff member/scholar has had close or proximate contact with a person with COVID-19 for a prolonged period of time AND is not experiencing COVID-19 related symptoms, they may return to work/school upon completing 14 days of self-quarantine.
o However, if such a staff member is deemed essential and critical for the operation or safety of the workplace, upon a documented determination by their supervisor and a human resources (HR) representative in consultation with appropriate state and local health authorities, the exposed, asymptomatic employee may return to work so long as the employee adheres to the following practices prior to and during their work shift, which should be monitored and documented by the employer and employee:
- Regular monitoring: The employee must self-monitor for a temperature greater than or equal to 100.0 degrees Fahrenheit every 12 hours and symptoms consistent with COVID-19 under the supervision of their employer’s occupational health program.
- Wear a mask: The employee must wear a face mask at all times while in the workplace for 14 days after last exposure.
- Social distance: The employee must continue social distancing practices, including maintaining, at least, six feet of distance from others.
- Clean and disinfect workspaces: The employer must continue to regularly clean and disinfect all areas, such as offices, bathrooms, common areas, and shared electronic equipment.
- Maintain quarantine: The employee must continue to self-quarantine and self-monitor for temperature and symptoms when not at the workplace for 14 days after last exposure.
Health Testing Responsibility – Testing Protocols
The Chemung County Health Department is the primary source for referring, sourcing and administering COVID-19 tests in the Elmira area.
It will be the responsibility of the staff member, or parent/guardian of scholars, to secure testing for a suspected case of COVID-19, or for a symptomatic individual. The school will support the staff member and scholar throughout the process and will keep in close contact to determine the results of the test in order to take further action.